If you frequently get headaches and are tired of taking over the counter medications to relieve the pain and discomfort and are looking to find more natural options, try using Essential Oils.
Essential Oils are the natural aromatic extracts from aromatic and medicinal plants, and what makes them such a powerful remedy for headaches is that they instantly deliver simultaneous relief for both the body and mind. Headaches are often triggered by stress and tension, and there is nothing more effective in soothing stress and calming the mind and body than the aromas of essential oils.
Our sense of smell has a direct connection to the part of our brain that reacts and responds to psychological, emotional and environmental stressors. That means when we smell a calming and pleasing scent, it can instantly reset our response and trigger a relaxation response. And when we are in the throes of suffering from a headache, we need both our body and our mind to relax and get quiet.
There are several essential oils that offer relief from headaches caused by stress and tension, and when these specific oils are blended together their aromatherapeutic properties are intensified, and relief can be found almost immediately.
Here is a list of 5 of the best essential oils to use for headache relief:
Peppermint Essential Oil (Mentha piperita):
Peppermint essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the common peppermint herb that can be found growing in a variety of different climates around the world. It’s loaded with molecules that have been shown to relieve pain, reduce inflammation, sharpen and focus our thoughts and help disperse stagnation and congestion. It’s a great oil to choose for headaches for its ability to clear our mind, cool off the pain, and ease our breathing.
Rosemary Essential Oil (Rosamrinus officinalis):
Rosemary essential oil is steam distilled from the common rosemary herb plant that like peppermint can be found growing in a variety of climates around the world. It’s loaded with molecules that have been shown to clear congestion and stagnancy, focus our thoughts and improve circulation and the flow of our thoughts. Like peppermint it is also pain relieving and calming to our nerves. It’s a great oil to choose for headaches because it can clear our mind of worry, ease away the pain and discomfort and relax our breathing.
Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia):
Lavender essential oil is steam distilled from the lavender flowers of the lavender bush-like herb. Its healing benefits are many, but one its most powerful aroma therapeutic actions is to soothe away nervous stress and tension, calming both the body and mind. Like rosemary and peppermint it is also pain relieving and a great oil to use for headache relief for its deeply calming effects.
Lemon Essential Oil (Citrus limon):
Lemon essential oil is expressed (squeezed) from the peel of the lemon fruit. It’s mostly composed of one molecule that has been shown to ease pain, clear congestion and uplift our mood. It’s a great essential oil to use for headaches because it can offer a positive mindset, encourage the flow of energy and circulation, and relieve pain.
Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia serrata):
This species of frankincense essential oil is steam distilled from the resin of the frankincense tree that grows in India. It has a distinctly different aromatic profile from the frankincense we are more familiar with from East Africa and Oman, but offers very similar benefits. It is a great oil to choose for headache relief because it can effectively soothe away worry and quiet an overactive mind, and ease away pain.
Let’s make a DIY headache relief roll on recipe
Here are the blending tools you’ll need to make it.
- 1 10 ml Roll-on Bottle, you can see what one looks like here.
- 1 tsp measuring spoon
- 6 disposable pipettes, you can see what these look like here.
- 1 25 ml glass beaker, you can see what this looks like here.
- 1 mixing spoon, or tiny spatula - don’t use plastic!
- 1 Blank Label
- 2 tsp of Jojoba Oil
- 7 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 4 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 4 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
Steps to make headache relief roll on:
- Measure out your 2 tsp of Jojoba Oil and add to your glass beaker. Use one of the disposable pipettes if needed to precisely dispense the Jojoba oil.
- Add all essential oils to Jojoba oil and mix well. Use your disposable pipettes to dispense your essential oils if you are finding the essential oil bottle’s dropper isn’t flowing correctly. If you want to use the pipette you’ll have to remove the plastic orifice reducer of the essential oil bottle first. And make sure not to use the same dropper for all the essential oils - you don’t want to cross contaminate the scents!
- Once all the essential oils and jojoba oil are well blended, pour carefully into your roller bottle and snap in the “ball” insert, shake, cap and label! Now it is ready to use.
How to Use
The best and most effective way to use your DIY Aromatherapy Roll-on, is to dab your temples and top and back of your head as often as needed when you are having a headache. Make sure to keep away from eyes, and avoid rolling on your face. Just keep to your temples. You can also try dabbing on your upper chest so you can find relief from the aroma. But don’t dab under your nose!
Let us know how this headache roll on recipe worked for you!