As the autumn season starts to paint the world with its stunning fall leaf colors, it's time to give our skin a little extra love and attention.
If you're on the hunt for simple, natural ways to keep your skin looking youthful, you're in the right place, because in this post we share the perfect DIY Autumn Face Oil recipe.
Autumn brings its own set of skin challenges. The cooler air can suck the moisture right out of our skin, leaving it feeling dry and tight. That brisk wind can be harsh too, causing redness and irritation. Plus, who wants to deal with premature wrinkles and fine lines?
But here's the good news: we've got a secret weapon – face oil. And, it's super easy to make yourself!
Using a nourishing face oil during the autumn months can work wonders for your skin. Especially if it's packed with essential oils.
Face oils are like a cozy blanket for your skin. They lock in moisture, soothe any irritation, and provide the nourishment your skin craves. It's like giving your face a warm, comforting hug during the chilly season.
So, if you're ready to embrace the fall season with glowing, youthful skin, keep reading. Let’s dive into the world of face oils and discover how they can be your best friend this autumn.
What is Face Oil?
A natural face oil is a skincare product derived from plant-based oils and extracts, like essential oils, carefully formulated to nourish and enhance the skin's health and appearance.
Unlike synthetic alternatives, natural face oils harness the power of botanical ingredients such as jojoba, argan, or rosehip oils, along with essential oils like lavender or geranium.
These oils are rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and fatty acids that moisturize, soothe, and protect the skin. Natural face oils are versatile, suitable for various skin types, and can address concerns like dryness, aging, and uneven tone. They promote a radiant, youthful complexion, all while steering clear of harmful chemicals, making them a preferred choice for those seeking a clean and holistic approach to skincare.
5 Benefits of Using a Face Oil in the Fall
Using face oil in the fall season offers a range of benefits tailored to combat the specific challenges that cooler weather presents to the skin.
Here are five advantages:
1. Deep Hydration: As the weather cools down, the air becomes drier, which can lead to skin dehydration. Face oils provide intense hydration, locking in moisture and preventing dryness, flakiness, and tightness.
2. Barrier Protection: Fall weather can be harsh on the skin, with chilly winds and temperature fluctuations. Face oils create a protective barrier, shielding your skin from environmental stressors, such as wind burn and cold air, while keeping it soft and supple.
3. Soothing Irritation: For those with sensitive skin, fall can bring about skin irritation due to changes in temperature and humidity. Face oils containing anti-inflammatory ingredients like chamomile or calendula can soothe redness and calm irritated skin.
4. Preventing Premature Aging: The fall season often comes with a decrease in humidity, which can accelerate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Face oils, particularly those rich in antioxidants like vitamin E or rosehip oil, help combat free radicals and protect against premature aging.
5. Radiant Complexion: Fall face oils often include ingredients like geranium, lavender, or frankincense, which not only nourish the skin but also promote a healthy glow. Using face oil regularly in the fall can give your complexion a radiant, youthful appearance.
Incorporating a 100% pure and natural face oil into your fall skincare routine can make a significant difference in maintaining healthy, beautiful skin throughout the season.
Here is a list of our top 7 Face Oil ingredients:
Geranium Essential Oil (Graveolens asperum) is steam distilled from the leaves of a fragrant bush that also has some beautiful pink flowers. The oil is loaded with molecules that encourage the skin to balance skin tone and vibrancy, while cleansing and toning. It also has many benefits to improve our mood, like releasing worry and anxiety, and helping us feel more calm. The lightly grassy floral aroma is immediately soothing to our skin and mind.
Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia) is steam distilled from the flowering tops of the common lavender plant. This essential oil has been studied and used for hundreds of years for its remarkable benefits for our skin. From healing wounds, cuts, scrapes and burns, to soothing inflammation and evening skin tone. Lavender essential oil is a must have ingredient for any facial product. Plus the aroma is so relaxing, it quickly wipes away all expression of stress and worry.
Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia serrata) is steam distilled from the resin of the unique frankincense species that grows in India. This particular frankincense has a slightly different aroma than the Frankincense we associate with ritual practice and ceremony, but it shares similar healing benefits for the skin. Known for its remarkable ability to support the skin’s innate skill to repair and restore, Frankincense essential oil can help balance skin tone, while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Argan Nut Oil is a carrier oil that comes from cold expeller pressing the nut from the argan tree. Unlike an essential oil, it is not fragrant, and feels more “oily” when we touch it. The hard shell and nut is pounded away to reveal the kernel and then that kernel is pressed to extract a rich yellow oil that has been shown to have powerful effects on the skin. It soothes irritation while making the skin feel more supple and and look more youthful.
Rose Hips Seed Oil is a carrier oil that comes from cold expeller pressing the seeds from the Rose Hip fruits. Like Argan it lacks aroma, and feels slightly “oily” - unlike essential oils. It shares many of the same healing benefits with argan oil, like being soothing to the skin, supporting tissue repair and promoting resilience and elasticity. Plus it is known to calm sensitive skin, and help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Jojoba Seed Oil is a carrier oil that comes from cold expeller pressing the seed from the Jojoba plant. Like other carrier oils, it has almost no aroma and feels more “oily” to our touch than essential oils. Jojoba oil absorbs relatively quickly to the skin and helps boost the strength and resilience of the skin.
Baobab Seed Oil is a carrier oil that comes from cold expeller pressing the seed from the large Baobab fruit that grows in Africa. The tree is sometimes called the “Tree of Life” because of its many amazing healing benefits. When the oil is applied to the skin, it absorbs quickly, and leaves a soft, beautiful feeling that encourages the skin to repair and restore itself.
Read below for our DIY Autumn face oil with essential oils to make the skin look years younger and more vibrant!
Makes 1 30 gram/ml (1 oz) bottle:
What you’ll need:
- Small digital scale
- Measuring cups and spoons, or glass beakers
- Stirrers, either metal or glass
- Small whisk
- 2 clean glass bottles with a pump
- Blank Labels
- Parchment Paper
- Paper towel
- 1 tsp of RoseHip Seed Oil
- 1 tsp of Argan Oil
- 1 tsp of Baobab Oil
- 3 tsp of Jojoba Oil
- 4 drops of Vitamin E Oil
- 6 drops of Lavender
- 3 drops of Frankincense
- 3 drops of Geranium
- Before starting to make the recipe make sure the area where you will be blending is very clean. That means wiping down counter spaces with rubbing alcohol and putting away any food items and extra clutter. Once your counter space, or table top is clean, line the area with some parchment paper, pull your hair back and thoroughly wash your hands.
- Set out your blending tools so they are easy to grab when needed.
- Bring out all of your ingredients so they are accessible.
- Using your measuring spoons, start measuring out each ingredient separately into a beaker or measuring cup,
- Stir thoroughly using your small mini whisk, or other mixing tool.
- Once everything is well combined, carefully pour the mixture into your empty glass bottle and cap with the pump closure.
- Make up a name for your Face Oil, and write the name and the ingredients on the label and attach them to bottles.
- Use in the morning and before bed
How to use Face Oil?
The best way to use face oil in order to reap the most powerful benefits is to apply it to a warm damp face after cleansing.
After cleansing your face, gently pat it dry with a soft towel. Next, pump out 4 pumps of your face oil into the palm of your hand, and use two fingers to gently massage the oil all over your face.
For an extra boost of powerful absorption, you can then pat your face again with a warm damp towel to encourage the nourishing elements of the oil to deeply absorb into your skin.
We suggest doing this after cleansing your face in the morning and before going to bed.
Let us know how you are enjoying your face oil!