As the winter solstice approaches, a time when the earth reaches its maximum tilt away from the sun, we find ourselves in the midst of the longest night and the shortest day of the year.
This celestial event has been celebrated across cultures for centuries, symbolizing a potent moment of transition and renewal. Beyond its astronomical significance, the winter solstice holds profound spiritual importance for many, representing a time of introspection, transformation, and the embrace of the unseen energies that surround us.
Essential Oils can be powerful allies in connecting with the spiritual essence of the winter solstice. Essential oils, derived from plants, carry the vibrational energy of nature, making them ideal companions for those seeking a deeper connection to the rhythms of the cosmos. Aromatherapy, the practice of using essential oils, which are these concentrated plant essences, becomes a gateway to experiencing the profound meaning behind the winter solstice.
To enhance this spiritual journey, we can experience the art of using aromatherapy by making our own roll-ons. These convenient and portable blends offer a synergistic combination of essential oils, carefully curated to evoke specific emotions and moods.
An aromatherapy roll-on is a small bottle infused with a blend of essential oils, diluted and ready for direct application to the skin. This simple and personal application method allows you to anoint yourself with the scents that resonate with the winter solstice, creating an aromatic bridge between the physical and spiritual realms. Let’s make our own DIY roll on recipe to deepen our connection with the profound energies of the winter solstice.
Here is a list of 5 of the best essential oils to use for the Winter Solstice
Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia serrata) - Frankincense essential oil is steam distilled from the resin of an ancient tree that grows in ancient lands, like Oman and India. The aroma from the resin has a long ancient history of use in spiritual practices. Its resinous, earthy aroma inspires inner strength, resilience and introspection, encouraging us to be still and breathe. Because it offers such a feeling of inner spiritual strength and power, this is a great essential oil to help us connect with the cosmos and the divine spirit.
Lemon Essential Oil (Citrus limon) is cold expressed (squeezed) from the peel of lemon. Its bright, sweetly sour aroma is known to disperse stagnancy, bring in the clarity of light and vision and remove negative feelings and thoughts. It’s clearing, refreshing and revitalizing, so when we are feeling stuck in dark, negative feelings, the brightness of lemon essential oil can push us forward to feel more positive.
Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia) - Lavender essential oil is steam distilled from the lavender flowers of the lavender bush-like herb. Its healing benefits are many, but one its most powerful aroma therapeutic actions is to soothe away nervous stress and tension, calming both the body and mind. And when we are navigating dark thoughts and feelings, stress can become overwhelming. So by incorporating Lavender essential oil into this blend it helps us remember to bring in the light and connect to our more spiritual selves.
Basil Essential Oil (Ocimum basilicum) - Basil essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the common culinary herb. Its aroma has a history of use in both ritual and ceremonial practices across cultures. Clearing, warming and slightly spicy the scent invites us to make a connection to our more spiritual side, and find peace and comfort in stillness.
Star Anise Essential Oil (Illicium verum) - Star Anise essential oil is steam distilled from the seed of this tropical plant. Its licorice aroma feels warm and slightly spicy and can be deeply stirring to our soul, offering a deep calm and sense of peace. It’s soothing, familiar and quieting and invites us to be more self-reflective.
Let’s make a DIY Roll-on recipe for Winter Solstice
- Here are the blending tools you’ll need to make it
- 1 10 ml Roll-on Bottle, you can see what one looks like here.
- 1 tsp measuring spoon
- 6 disposable pipettes, you can see what these looks like here.
- 1 25 ml glass beaker, you can see what this looks like here.
- 1 mixing spoon, or tiny spatula - don’t use plastic!
- 1 Blank Label
- 2 tsp of Jojoba Oil
- 7 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 8 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Basil Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Star Anise Essential Oil
- 4 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
Steps to make your DIY roll on for:
- Measure out your 2 tsp of Jojoba Oil and add to your glass beaker. Use one of the disposable pipettes if needed to precisely dispense the Jojoba oil.
- Add all essential oils to Jojoba oil and mix well. Use your disposable pipettes to dispense your essential oils if you are finding the essential oil bottle’s dropper isn’t flowing correctly. If you want to use the pipette, you’ll have to remove the plastic orifice reducer of the essential oil bottle first. And make sure not to use the same dropper for all the essential oils - you don’t want to cross contaminate the scents!
- Once all the essential oils and jojoba oil are well blended, pour carefully into your roller bottle and snap in the “ball” insert, shake, cap and label! Now it is ready to use.
How to Use
The best and most effective way to use your DIY Aromatherapy Roll-on for winter solstice is to dab your temples and top and back of your head before attending a ceremony or event marking the solstice. You can also use it throughout the day of the winter solstice to help connect more deeply to the cosmic shift. Make sure to keep away from eyes, and avoid rolling on your face. Just keep to your temples, back of neck and upper chest, and pulse points.