Grapefruit essential oil comes from the fruit of the grapefruit tree (citrus paradisi), which is widely cultivated around the world in the Caribbean, Mexico, the U.S.A., Europe, Israel, and Africa. Thought to have originated on the island of Barbados, the grapefruit tree is a hybrid between a sweet orange and a pomelo. The fruit grows in clusters on the tree hence the name “grapefruit” and comes in white, pink, or ruby red varieties.
To make grapefruit essential oil, the fruit is harvested and the peels are cold-pressed to yield a 100% pure essential oil. Used traditionally in folk medicine as an antibacterial agent, grapefruit essential oil has many benefits for the mind and body. Today it’s used as a flavoring in food and beverages, and as an ingredient in cleaning products, cosmetics, body care products, and perfume. It has an amazingly zesty and refreshing aroma. Read on to discover the benefits of grapefruit essential oil and how you can use it in your daily life.
Benefits of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil is very therapeutic for the skin, hair, and even the mind. Here are some of the key benefits.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Benefits for the Skin
- Cleanses skin and prevents breakouts
- Evens skin tone
- Reduces the appearance of cellulite
- Soothes achy muscles
- Balances skin oil levels
- Promotes vibrancy and glow
Grapefruit Essential Oil Benefits for the Hair
- Adds shine and vibrancy
- Cleans and clarifies the scalp
- Balances hair oil levels
Grapefruit Essential Oil Benefits for the Mood
- Energizing and uplifting
- Calms a worried mind and eases tension
How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil can be used in many applications from body care to home care — here are the best ways to incorporate it into your lifestyle.
For the body
- Add 4 drops of grapefruit essential oil to 1 tablespoon of shampoo and wash to leave hair healthy-looking and shiny.
- Mix 3 drops of grapefruit essential oil and 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil and massage into the scalp to remove excess oil, dandruff, dirt, and grime.
- Mix 4 drops of grapefruit essential oil and 3 drops of lavender essential oil with 1 tablespoon of argan oil and use it to massage sore muscles.
- Combine 1 drop of grapefruit essential oil, 1 drop of geranium essential oil, and 4 drops of jojoba oil and rub it on wrists and neck as a perfume.
- Add 6 drops of grapefruit essential oil to 1 ounce of your favorite face cleanser to help reduce oily shine and the frequency of acne breakouts.
For the mind
- Add 2 drops of grapefruit essential oil, 2 drops of lemon essential oil, and 2 drops of orange essential oil and to your diffuser along with water (as directed) to boost the mood and promote vitality.
- Mix 4 drops of grapefruit essential oil and 3 drops of cedarwood essential oil with 1 teaspoon of honey and add to a hot bath to calm the nerves and relieve stress.
For the home
- Fill a medium-sized spray bottle with 1 cup of white vinegar, 3 cups of water, 8 drops of grapefruit essential oil, 4 drops of lemon essential oil, and 3 drops of peppermint essential oil. Shake and spray on kitchen and bathroom countertops to clean and deodorize.
- Add 3 drops of grapefruit essential oil and 3 drops of ylang ylang essential oil to your diffuser along with water (as directed) to freshen your home and rid unwanted odors.
- Combine ½ cup of baking soda, 8 drops of grapefruit essential oil, 3 teaspoons of water, and 1 tablespoon of liquid castile soap in a bowl until a thick paste forms. Apply to shower tile, tub, and bathroom sink with a soft brush to clean and remove soap scum and grime.
What Blends Well With Grapefruit Essential Oil?
The refreshing aroma of grapefruit pairs well with other citrus varieties, in addition to floral, woodsy, and herbaceous-scented essential oils. Here are some essential oils that pair wonderfully with grapefruit essential oil.
- Lemon essential oil
- Basil essential oil
- Frankincense essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Cedarwood essential oil
Grapefruit Essential Oil Safety
Grapefruit essential oil is safe to use but can be irritating to some. Pregnant women or those on blood pressure medications should avoid using grapefruit essential oil. Additionally, you should avoid UV rays or sunlight within 12 hours of applying it to your skin. Never apply grapefruit essential oil to the skin directly and always combine it with a carrier oil before use. It’s best to conduct a skin patch test before applying it to a larger area. Grapefruit essential oil should only be applied topically or inhaled, and not ingested. For more essential oil safety tips, take a look at this article.
All About Cliganic Grapefruit Essential Oil
Sourced from certified organic pink grapefruit grown in Italy, Mexico, and the U.S.A, Cliganic Grapefruit Essential Oil is cold-pressed and has a fresh, citrusy scent. As with all Cliganic products, it’s free of chemicals, parabens, SLS or other artificial ingredients, and cruelty-free. Plus, it’s 3rd-party tested for purity.