Lemon essential oil has long been prized for its bright citrusy scent and its many beneficial properties and uses. From boosting the mood to freshening the air, this versatile oil can be used in various ways. In this article, we will explore the history of lemon essential oil, its benefits, how to use it safely, and more — so read on to learn more about this wonderful natural remedy.
History of Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil has a storied history, with its use in folk medicine and perfumery dating back centuries. Ancient Chinese, Greek, and Roman cultures all documented the use of lemon essential oil for various healing purposes. In the 16th century, physician and botanist Prospero Alpini first distilled lemon essential oil commercially in Italy. During the 19th century, lemon essential oil became widely used in perfumery. Today, this versatile oil is still used in aromatherapy and perfumery and is a popular ingredient in many natural cleaning products. The most common method of extraction is through cold-pressing the lemon peels, which yields a 100% pure and natural oil.
Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil has a variety of benefits. Here are some of the top perks for the skin, hair, mind, home, and more:
- Cleanses and purifies skin
- Works as a natural astringent, preventing breakouts and blemishes
- Aids in wound healing for minor cuts and scrapes
- Promotes a bright, radiant complexion
- Cleans scalp, removing grime and dirt
- Promotes a healthy scalp
- Removes sap or pine gum on skin
- Soothes calluses
- Calms a worried mind
- Aids in concentration and focus
- Boosts the mood
- Neutralizes unwanted odors
- Cleans surfaces
- Refreshes clothing
- Degreases stovetops and pans
- Deters insects like mosquitoes
How to Use Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is a powerful and versatile tool that can be used to boost physical and emotional health, as well as clean and freshen the home. When using this product, there are a few safety considerations to take into account.
It is critical to always combine lemon essential oil with a carrier oil and to conduct a patch test before applying it topically. You should also avoid direct sunlight if using lemon essential on your skin. Lemon essential oil should only be applied topically or inhaled and not ingested. It can be toxic to pets and should be avoided by pregnant women. For more essential oil safety tips, take a look at this article.
Below are some easy ways to use lemon essential oil in your daily life:
- Mix 3 drops of lemon essential oil and 1 tablespoon of argan oil and massage into your scalp and leave it for 5 minutes and then wash to soothe itchiness and remove dirt and grime.
- Add 2 drops of lemon essential oil to ½ teaspoon of aloe vera gel and use it as a spot treatment directly on blemishes.
- Mix 2 drops of lemon essential oil with ½ teaspoon of jojoba oil and apply to minor cuts and scrapes to aid in healing.
- Add 4 drops of lemon essential oil to 1 tablespoon of shampoo and wash hair to balance oil levels.
- Add 2 drops of lemon essential oil to ½ teaspoon of almond oil and use it to remove sap or pine gum from the skin.
- Add 3 drops of lemon essential oil and 3 drops of basil essential oil to your diffuser along with water (as directed) to promote relaxation and concentration.
- Add 4 drops of lemon essential oil to your laundry tub when it’s on the final rinse cycle to freshen clothing.
- Fill a medium-sized spray bottle with 1 cup of white vinegar, 3 cups of water, 10 drops of lemon essential oil, and 5 drops of grapefruit essential oil. Shake and spray on the stovetop to remove grease and disinfect countertops.
- Add 4 drops of lemon essential oil and 5 drops of citronella essential oil to a diffuser along with water (as directed) and diffuse in outdoor areas to keep mosquitoes and other bugs away.
A popular and versatile essential oil, lemon essential oil has many benefits for the mind, body, and home, from cleansing the skin to cleaning the countertops. It can be used topically, diffused, or as an ingredient in your favorite cleaning DIYs. As with other essential oils, it can be irritating to the skin and respiratory system, so it’s important to follow the tips shared in this article to ensure safe use. When selecting lemon essential oil, be sure to look for brands that are organic, 100% pure, and cold-pressed like Cliganic Lemon Essential Oil to yield the best results. To learn more about how you can use citrus essential oils, check out this article: Cleaning Hacks Using Essential Oils.