Our hands work tirelessly every day, and often it's the little details that make all the difference. When it comes to maintaining healthy, beautiful nails, the state of our cuticles plays a crucial role. When you don’t pay attention to taking care of your cuticles, your hands will not only look unkempt but you could also experience discomfort and potential nail issues down the line.
The good news is that you don't need to spend a fortune on expensive salon treatments to keep your cuticles in top shape. With a few simple plant-based ingredients and a little bit of DIY magic, you can create your very own nourishing cuticle oil right at home.
Is Cuticle Oil good for Nails?
Yes! And in this blog post, you’ll learn about the wonderful world of DIY cuticle oil and how this natural elixir can work wonders for your nails.
We'll begin by delving into the significance of maintaining healthy cuticles. Your cuticles, those delicate slivers of skin at the base of your nails, act as a protective barrier, preventing bacteria and other harmful substances from entering the nail bed.
Neglected cuticles can lead to dryness, peeling, and even painful infections. By incorporating regular cuticle care into your nail routine, you can prevent these issues and enjoy a multitude of benefits.
This is where cuticle oil comes to the rescue, providing essential hydration, nourishment, and protection to promote overall nail health.
Proper cuticle care promotes nail health by keeping your nails hydrated and flexible, reducing the risk of breakage and splitting. It also encourages healthy nail growth, allowing you to achieve longer, stronger nails.
Nourishing and moisturizing your cuticles not only keeps them looking neat and tidy but also prevents discomfort and pain.
Remember, healthy cuticles are the foundation for beautiful nails. So, make it a priority to pamper and protect them with gentle care, moisturizing treatments, and regular maintenance. Your hands will thank you, and you'll be rewarded with a stunning set of healthy, beautiful nails that are a true reflection of your overall well-being.
Here is a list of our top 3 carrier oils to improve the health and appearance of your hands and nails.
Tamanu Oil is expeller pressed from the nut from the Tamanu tree. It is rich in a wide range of essential fatty acids that have been shown to strengthen the skin’s resilience, and ward off germs and bacteria. Its rich green color indicates the oil is packed with nutrients that help restore and repair the skin.
Jojoba Oil is cold expeller pressed from the seeds of the Jojoba Bush. The oil is unique because it behaves very similarly to the oils our own human body produces. This means that when we apply the oil directly to our skin and cuticles it absorbs quickly and gets to work fast, nourishing, hydrating and supporting our skin and nail health.
Baobab Oil comes from pressing the Baobab seeds from the Baobab tree native to Africa. It has some very unique skin benefits that include strengthening the skin’s resilience, protecting the skin from environmental stressors, and energizing skin cell regeneration.
Read below for our DIY Cuticle Oil recipe that features a beautiful combination of our top 3 carrier oils boosted with the aromatherapeutic properties of 3 of our favorite essential oils known to be beneficial for the nails.
Here’s how to make your own DIY Cuticle Oil
This recipe makes one 30 ml bottle.
What you’ll need:
- Small digital scale
- Measuring cups and spoons, or glass beakers
- Stirrers, either metal or glass
- Small whisk
- One 1-ounce (30 ml) glass bottle with a dropper
- Blank Labels
- Parchment Paper
- Paper towel
- 10 ml (approximately 2 tsp) of Tamanu Oil
- 10 ml (approximately 2 tsp) of Baobab Oil
- 10 ml (approximately 2 tsp) of Jojoba Oil
- 5 drops of Vitamin E Oil
- 3 drops of Tea Tree Oil
- 5 drops of Palmarosa Oil
- 3 drops of Patchouli Oil
- Before starting to make the recipe make sure the area where you will be blending is very clean. That means wiping down counter spaces with rubbing alcohol and putting away any food items and extra clutter. Once your counter space, or table top is clean, line the area with some parchment paper, pull your hair back and thoroughly wash your hands.
- Set out your digital scale and all other blending tools so they are easy to grab when needed.
- Bring out all of your ingredients so they are accessible.
- Using your small digital scale, and measuring spoons, start measuring out each carrier oil separately into their own beaker or measuring cup, until you have every carrier oil laid out in front of you.
- Pour all carrier oils into one of your empty beakers or glass measuring cups, and stir thoroughly using your small mini whisk, or other mixing tool.
- Once everything is well combined, add in the Vitamin E and all the essential oils and mix well.
- Next, carefully pour the mixture into your empty glass bottle and cap with the dropper.
- Make up a name for your DIY Cuticle Oil, and write the name and the ingredients on the label and attach the label to the bottle.
- Apply 3 to 4 drops of your cuticle oil to your cuticles and gently massage at least once a day.
What are the benefits of using DIY Cuticle Oil?
Using a natural DIY cuticle oil can provide several benefits for your nails and cuticles. Here are four advantages of incorporating all natural plant-based DIY cuticle oil into your nail care routine:
1. Hydration and Nourishment:
Our DIY cuticle oil recipe includes nourishing carrier oils like Jojoba Oil, Tamanu Oil and Baobab Oil. These oils deeply penetrate the cuticles, support tissue repair, and provide essential hydration and nutrients. Regularly applying these oils helps prevent dryness, flakiness, and cracking, keeping your cuticles moisturized and healthy.
2. Strengthening and Conditioning:
Many natural oils used in DIY cuticle oil recipes contain vitamins and minerals that help strengthen and condition your nails. For instance, Jojoba, Tamanu and Baobab oils are all packed with unique essential fatty acids that have been shown to promote nail strength and growth, while preventing brittleness and improving the overall resilience of your nails.
3. Improved Nail Health:
By nurturing your cuticles with a natural plant-based DIY cuticle oil, you promote overall nail health. Healthy cuticles create a protective barrier against infections, bacteria, and fungus, reducing the risk of nail problems. The oil can also help alleviate common issues like hangnails and dry, irritated cuticles, ensuring your nails and surrounding skin remain comfortable and problem-free.
4. Relaxation and Self-Care:
Applying cuticle oil is not just about nail health; it also offers a moment of relaxation and self-care. Taking a few minutes to massage the oil into your cuticles promotes blood circulation and stimulates nail growth. The gentle massage combined with the soothing aroma of essential oils, like Tea Tree, Palmarosa and Patchouli, can help relieve stress and provide a calming sensation, turning your nail care routine into a rejuvenating experience.
Incorporating a natural DIY cuticle oil into your nail care regimen offers a holistic approach to maintaining healthy nails and cuticles. With the right blend of nourishing ingredients, you can enhance the appearance, strength, and overall well-being of your nails while indulging in a delightful self-care ritual.