Aroma has a remarkable ability to stir our emotions and awaken our sensuality. Over the centuries and across cultures and civilizations, scent has been a powerful element in rituals that celebrate love and relationships.
Our sense of smell has a direct link to our unconscious mind and can trigger emotional responses before we are aware of them. So, when we smell something pleasant or beautiful, we can feel instantly relaxed and emotionally connected. Aromas can attract and arouse - in fact that’s one of the reasons plants have scents in the first place: to attract pollinators. They give off odors that draw in insects, birds and animals that help the plant reproduce.
And like plants, we also use aroma to attract and draw in others. Our sense of smell can play a powerful role in our love lives. In fact, there are certain aromas that can set the mood for love and arousal, awakening our senses, improving our circulation and emotionally connecting us to each other.
Here is a list of our top 5 essential oils to set the mood for Date Night:
Ginger Root (Zingiberis officinalis):
Steam distilled from the fleshy root, or rhizome, of the ginger plant, this essential oil offers a fresh, spicy and warming aroma that supports circulation and calms our nerves. It is stirring and deeply grounding, making us feel safe and accepted.
Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata):
Steam distilled from the large orchid-like flowers of this tropical tree. The aroma from the Ylang Ylang flowers is rich and jasmine-like, and has been used for centuries as an aphrodisiac, to arouse and awaken feelings of love and connection.
Geranium (Graveolens asperum):
Steam distilled from the leaves of a fragrant bush that also has some beautiful pink flowers. The essential oil has a light fresh rose-like aroma that connects us directly to our hearts, balancing our feelings and giving us the confidence to express how we feel.
Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin):
Steam distilled from the slightly dried and fermented Patchouli leaves. It has an earthy, grounding and slightly musky aroma that is both warming and grounding. When blended with floral aromas like Geranium and Ylang Ylang, Patchouli can feel both arousing and sensual, connecting us to our most primal feelings.
Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica):
Steam distilled from the wood of a tall, majestic Cedar tree that is native to the middle east. Rich with history and used for centuries as an incense to connect us to the divine, Cedarwood can stir deep feelings, and open our hearts to more honestly connect with others.
Read below for our DIY Date Night Massage Oil recipe that features a beautiful combination of our top 5 essential oils to set the mood for love.
Makes 250 gram bottles for a total of 100 grams, or 2 (2 oz) bottles
What you’ll need:
- Small digital scale
- Measuring cups and spoons, or glass beakers
- Stirrers, either metal or glass
- Small whisk
- 2 clean glass bottles with a pump
- Blank Labels
- Parchment Paper
- Paper towel
- 25 grams (approximately 5 tsp) of Marula Oil
- 25 grams (approximately 5 tsp) of Argan Oil
- 50 grams (approximately 5 tsp) of Jojoba Oil
- 1 gram (approximately 20 drops) of Vitamin E Oil
- 7 drops of Cedarwood Oil
- 5 drops of Ginger Root Oil
- 4 drops of Patchouli Oil
- 3 drops of Geranium Oil
- 4 drops of Ylang Ylang Oil
- Before starting to make the recipe make sure the area where you will be blending is very clean. That means wiping down counter spaces with rubbing alcohol and putting away any food items and extra clutter. Once your counter space, or table top is clean, line the area with some parchment paper, pull your hair back and thoroughly wash your hands.
- Set out your digital scale and all other blending tools so they are easy to grab when needed.
- Bring out all of your ingredients so they are accessible.
- Using your small digital scale, and measuring spoons, start measuring out each ingredient separately into their own beaker or measuring cup, until you have every ingredient laid out in front of you.
- Pour all ingredients into one of your empty beakers or glass measuring cups, and stir thoroughly using your small mini whisk, or other mixing tool.
- Once everything is well combined, carefully pour the mixture into your empty glass bottles and cap with the pump closure.
- Make up a name for your Date Night Massage oil, and write the name and the ingredients on the label and attach them to bottles.
- Use as often as needed!
What are the benefits of an Essential Oil Date Night massage oil?
A massage oil that features essential oils has many health benefits including improving circulation, reducing inflammation, easing away pain and discomfort while simultaneously calming our emotions.
When we massage an oil onto our bodies, using firm circular motions, we are able to warm the skin and awaken our tissues and blood vessels, improving circulation and the flow of energy so that our bodies can welcome the aromatherapeutic properties of the essential oils that are featured in the massage oil - instantly affecting our emotions and setting a mood.
Using a Date-Night Massage Oil is a great way to set the mood for love, increase awareness of our feelings and desires, and invite us to be more present in the moment.
How to use a Date Night massage oil?
A Date-Night massage oil is most effective when partners massage each other. We recommend back massages, foot massages, and head massages. These areas especially can deeply relax even the most nervous, allowing them to feel more present and emotionally available to their partners.
This special combination of essential oils in this recipe, have an uplifting and deeply arousing aroma, that inspire an open heart, and emotional connection.
This DIY Date Night massage oil can also be used to gently scent the hair, and body. To do this try first rubbing the oil in the palms of your hands and then patting gently on your face, - and body.
How are you going to use our Date-Night massage oil recipe?