The ups and downs of a woman’s cycle can come loaded with emotional mood swings, physical aches and pains, sleepless nights, appetite cravings and so much more. What can be done to help soothe away the symptoms and improve mindset? Essential oils are a natural and easy option to as away the discomfort many women deal with during PMS. Sometimes just smelling the aromas of the oils is enough to balance out emotional outbursts, and feelings of lethargy and depression.
Many essential oils have been shown to ease muscle cramping, soothe bloating and calm our emotions, and when we combine them in DIY massage oils to use during PMS, many women can feel great relief almost instantly. If you are looking for more natural options to manage your PMS symptoms, and navigate the ups and downs of your cycle from a more holistic perspective, check out the 5 essential oils we think are the best for navigating your cycle.
Here is a list of our top 5 essential oils to soothe PMS symptoms:
Ginger Root (Zingiberis officinalis):
Ginger root essential oil is steam distilled from the rhizome, the fleshy bulb-like root of the ginger plant. It is loaded with molecules that have been shown to lessen feelings of bloating, and swelling while also easing muscle tension and cramping. Plus, the aroma is very soothing to our emotions, by inviting us to feel more grounded.
Bergamot (Citrus bergamia):
Squeezed directly from the bergamot peels, bergamot essential oil offers a very deep and quieting experience to our emotions. It is both uplifting and sedating, and can help us calm our nerves so we can sleep, while also encouraging us to feel more positive. Bergamot is a wonderful oil to help improve mood, and help us feel calmer and more in balance.
Geranium (Graveolens asperum):
Steam distilled from the leaves of a fragrant bush that also has some beautiful pink flowers. The oil is loaded with molecules that encourage us to release worry and anxiety, and feel more balanced and calmer. The lightly grassy floral aroma immediately echoes in our hearts, and helps us to better navigate and regulate our emotions.
Black Pepper (Piperita nigrum):
Steam distilled from the dried buds of the peppercorn tree. These teeny tiny buds offer an experience of calm. The oil is warming, and supports our circulation and the flow of movement and energy in our bodies and minds. It also has some properties that make it a lovely choice for relaxing muscle tension and cramping.
Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea):
Steam distilled from the leaves of this earthy smelling herb that is a botanical relative of lavender, peppermint, and sage. Herbalists and many that practice folk medicine, have leaned on clary sage as a medicinal plant that has a strong affinity to women’s reproductive health and wellness. The aroma is grounding and sedating, and it comforts our emotions when they feel out of control. Like ginger and black pepper, clary sage is also wonderful for easing muscle cramps and tension.
Read below for our DIY PMS Massage Oil recipe that features a beautiful combination of our top 5 essential oils to relieve PMS symptoms
Makes 250 gram bottles for a total of 100 grams, or 2 ( 2 oz) bottles:
What you’ll need:
- Small digital scale
- Measuring cups and spoons, or glass beakers
- Stirrers, either metal or glass
- Small whisk
- 2 clean glass bottles with a pump
- Blank Labels
- Parchment Paper
- Paper towel
- 25 grams (approximately 5 tsp) of Marula Oil
- 25 grams (approximately 5 tsp) of Tamanu Oil
- 50 grams (approximately 5 tsp) of Jojoba Oil
- 1 gram ( approximately 20 drops) of Vitamin E Oil
- 7 drops of Bergamot Oil
- 5 drops of Ginger Root Oil
- 4 drops of Black Pepper Oil
- 3 drops of Geranium Oil
- 4 drops of Clary Sage Oil
- Before starting to make the recipe make sure the area where you will be blending is very clean. That means wiping down counter spaces with rubbing alcohol and putting away any food items and extra clutter. Once your counter space, or table top is clean, line the area with some parchment paper, pull your hair back and thoroughly wash your hands.
- Set out your digital scale and all other blending tools so they are easy to grab when needed.
- Bring out all of your ingredients so they are accessible.
- Using your small digital scale, and measuring spoons, start measuring out each ingredient separately into their own beaker or measuring cup, until you have every ingredient laid out in front of you.
- Pour all ingredients into one of your empty beakers or glass measuring cups, and stir thoroughly using your small mini whisk, or other mixing tool.
- Once everything is well combined, carefully pour the mixture into your empty glass bottles and cap with the pump closure.
- Make up a name for your PMS Massage oil, and write the name and the ingredients on the label and attach them to bottles.
- Use as often as needed!
What are the benefits of an essential oil PMS massage oil?
Essential oil massage benefits include improving circulation, reducing inflammation, easing away pain and discomfort while calming our emotions. When we massage an oil onto our bodies, using firm circular motions, we are able to warm the skin and awaken our tissues and blood vessels, improving circulation and the flow of energy so that our bodies can welcome the aromatherapeutic properties of the essential oils that are featured in the massage oil - and offer immediate relief.
So, when we are in the throes of the worst symptoms of PMS, a regular massage on our lower belly can instantly offer a mood shift, relief from aches and pains and help improve the flow of energy in our minds and bodies.
How to use a PMS massage oil?
When massaging our bellies, specifically, it is recommended to use gently firm circular motions, that move counter clockwise around our belly button, to encourage the natural flow of our reproductive system and disperse bloating, and ease cramping.
Our PMS massage oil can be used up to 3 X per day, whenever your lower belly is feeling tight and in distress. Make sure to be in a quiet space when you do it and lay flat, so that you can reap the maximum benefits.