Neck pain is one of the most common issues we all are challenged by, but it’s something we can easily care for naturally. And in this post, let’s delve into the world of natural remedies and self-care practices to help you live your best life, so we can ease away neck pain as soon as it appears!
If you're a young and health-conscious individual seeking relief from chronic neck pain caused by stress, you've come to the right place. Today, we're excited to introduce you to a DIY neck massage oil that harnesses the power of essential oils to work wonders on those tense muscles and provide much-needed relaxation.
In our fast-paced modern lives, stress often becomes an unwelcome companion, leading to muscle tension, especially in the neck and shoulders. But don’t worry, because the powers of essential oils can offer amazing relief!
By combining carefully selected essential oils known for their soothing properties, you can create a natural neck massage oil that will not only melt away the tension but also promote a sense of calm and balance.
We will look first at how essential oils can ease away pain and then we'll share an easy-to-follow recipe, tips, and techniques to make your own neck massage oil at home, customized to your preferences. Our aim is to empower you to take charge of your well-being and embrace a holistic approach to self-care.
Say goodbye to the burden of chronic neck pain and unlock the potential of a healthier, more relaxed you. Let's embark on this journey together, as we discover the transformative effects of this DIY neck massage oil and embrace the beauty of living more holistically. Get ready to nurture your mind, body, and soul as we explore the powerful synergy between essential oils and chronic neck pain relief.
How Essential Oils can help us manage pain.
Essential oils have gained popularity as a natural and effective method for pain relief due to their therapeutic properties. These concentrated plant extracts contain potent compounds that can target and alleviate various types of pain.
When applied topically, essential oils can penetrate the skin and work directly on sore muscles or painful areas. They possess anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, which can reduce inflammation and block pain signals. Additionally, some essential oils, such as lavender and frankincense, have sedative effects that promote relaxation, leading to a reduction in pain caused by tension and stress.
Whether used in massage oils, compresses, or diffused for inhalation, essential oils offer a holistic and aromatic approach to managing pain, making them a popular choice for those seeking natural remedies to support their overall well-being. Read more in our blog about Essential Oils and Back Pain.
Here is a list of our top 5 essential oils to help you experience relief from neck pain.
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) - Lavender essential oil is steam distilled from the flowers of the lavender bush. Its whaling properties have been used since ancient times, and one of its most powerful applications is to soothe physical pain. Its components have been researched extensively and demonstrate their ability to reduce inflammation, calm our stress and make us feel better.
Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) - steam distilled from the leaves of the Eucalyptus tree native to Australia, this essential oil, like Lavender, has been used for centuries to relieve all sorts of ailments, including pain. Its primary component is known for calming down swelling, and easing away physical discomfort.
Peppermint (Mentha piperita) - steam distilled from the leaves of the common peppermint plant, its cooling, numbing and rejuvenating. It quickly clears away the experience of pain and offers immediate relief.
Frankincense (Boswellia serrata) - steam distilled from the resin of an ancient tree. There are a couple of different species of Frankincense and they each differ slightly in their healing benefits. This particular species is from India and like the other species of frankincense it offers great relief from pain.
Clove Bud (Eugenia Caryophyllata) is steam distilled from the buds of the Clove tree. It’s warming and penetrating, offering great relief from spasms and aches, and like Peppermint, can be numbing for pain. Plus, it is calming to our mind and body.
Read below for our DIY Neck Massage Oil recipe that features a beautiful combination of our top 5 essential oils that offer pain relief.
Make one 30 ml bottle.
What you’ll need:
- Small digital scale
- Measuring cups and spoons, or glass beakers
- Stirrers, either metal or glass
- Small whisk
- 2 clean glass bottles with a pump
- Blank Labels
- Parchment Paper
- Paper towel
- 20 grams of Jojoba Oil (or approximately 5 teaspoons)
- 5 gram (approximately 8 drops) of Vitamin E Oil
- 4 drops of Clove Bud Oil
- 4 drops Frankincense Oil
- 1 drop of Peppermint Oil
- 1 drop of Eucalyptus Oil
- 7 drops of Lavender Oil
- Before starting to make the recipe make sure the area where you will be blending is very clean. That means wiping down counter spaces with rubbing alcohol and putting away any food items and extra clutter. Once your counter space, or table top is clean, line the area with some parchment paper, pull your hair back and thoroughly wash your hands.
- Set out your digital scale and all other blending tools so they are easy to grab when needed.
- Bring out all of your ingredients so they are accessible.
- Using your small digital scale, and measuring spoons, start measuring out each ingredient separately into their own beaker or measuring cup, until you have every ingredient laid out in front of you.
- Pour all ingredients into one of your empty beakers or glass measuring cups, and stir thoroughly using your small mini whisk, or other mixing tool.
- Once everything is well combined, carefully pour the mixture into your empty glass bottle and cap with the pump closure.
- Make up a name for your Summer Hair Oil, and write the name and the ingredients on the label and attach them to bottles.
- Use as often as needed!
What are the benefits of a DIY Neck Massage Oil?
Using a DIY neck massage oil featuring essential oils can offer several benefits for relieving neck pain:
1. Natural Pain Relief: Essential oils like peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus, and frankincense have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, which can provide natural pain relief when applied topically to the neck area. They can soothe sore muscles and reduce inflammation, easing discomfort.
2. Muscle Relaxation: The aromatic compounds in essential oils can promote muscle relaxation when massaged into the neck. This helps to release tension and tightness that often contribute to chronic neck pain, allowing the muscles to unwind and promoting a sense of relief.
3. Stress Reduction: Many essential oils have calming and stress-reducing effects on the mind and body. Incorporating them into a neck massage oil can help alleviate stress-related neck pain, as stress often contributes to muscle tension in the neck and shoulders.
4. Improved Circulation: The act of massaging the neck with the oil can increase blood flow to the area, promoting better circulation. Improved circulation can aid in healing damaged tissues, reduce inflammation, and accelerate the recovery process.
5. Customizable and Cost-Effective: Making your DIY neck massage oil allows you to customize the blend to suit your preferences and specific needs. Moreover, it's a cost-effective alternative to commercial products, giving you the freedom to experiment with different essential oils until you find the perfect blend that works best for your chronic neck pain relief.
Remember to perform a patch test before using any essential oil to check for allergies or sensitivities. Always dilute essential oils properly in a carrier oil before applying to the skin, and if you have any pre-existing medical conditions, consult with a healthcare professional before incorporating essential oils into your wellness routine.
How to use your DIY Neck Massage Oil
Here are three effective ways to use a DIY neck massage oil that features essential oils for maximum benefits:
- The most common and direct method is to apply the DIY neck massage oil directly to your skin through massage. Start by pouring a small amount of the oil blend into the palm of your hand.
- Gently warm the oil between your hands by rubbing them together.
- Begin massaging the oil into your neck and shoulder area using slow, circular motions. Apply gentle pressure to areas where you feel tension or discomfort.
- The massage not only allows the essential oils to penetrate the skin and provide relief to the affected muscles but also promotes relaxation and stress reduction.
- To enhance the therapeutic effects of the DIY neck massage oil, you can use it in combination with a hot compress.
- Dip a clean cloth or towel into warm water and wring out the excess. Then, add a few drops of the neck massage oil to the cloth.
- Place the warm, oil-infused cloth on your neck, allowing the heat to soothe the muscles and the essential oil's aroma to aid in relaxation.
- Leave the compress on for a few minutes or until the cloth cools down, repeating as needed.
- Another way to enjoy the benefits of the DIY neck massage oil is through aromatherapy using an essential oil diffuser.
- Add a few drops of the neck massage oil to your diffuser and follow the manufacturer's instructions for use.
- Let the diffuser disperse the aromatic molecules into the air, filling your space with the calming and pain-relieving scent of the essential oils.
- Inhaling the aroma can help reduce stress, tension, and neck pain, providing a sense of well-being throughout the day.
Remember, perform a patch test to check for any allergic reactions or skin sensitivities. Each person's sensitivity to essential oils may vary, so start with a small amount and gradually increase as needed. Always consult with a healthcare professional if you have any underlying health conditions or concerns before using essential oils. And please let us know how you like the recipe!