As the holiday season unfolds, there's a beautiful opportunity to infuse our homes with the warmth, joy, and love that define the Holidays. Imagine a space that not only twinkles with festive lights but also resonates with the comforting scents of the season, creating an atmosphere that inspires generosity, compassion, and a deep sense of family and friend connection. Let’s explore the transformative power of essential oils and aromatherapy as we create our very own DIY holiday room spray.
The holidays are a unique time when our hearts naturally open to the spirit of giving and compassion. Essential oils, with their ability to influence our thoughts and feelings, become our aromatic allies in fostering these more compassionate ways of experiencing the world.
Aromatherapy has long been recognized for its capacity to connect us with our emotions and trigger memories, making it a perfect tool to help us feel the holiday spirit within our homes.
By incorporating carefully selected essential oils into a homemade room spray, we can effortlessly transform our living spaces with the scents that embody the essence of the season. These aromatic blends have the power to transport us to memories of holidays past, evoke feelings of joy, and create an overall vibe of love and togetherness. As we navigate the bustling holiday preparations, a simple spritz of a personalized room spray can serve as a gentle reminder to pause, breathe, and fully embrace the magic of the moment.
Keep reading so you can get your own holiday room spray recipe, so your home becomes delightful and accessible and can bring in the spirit of the season. Let the power of essential oils transform your space into a special and beautiful place of joy, peace, and love, fostering holiday vibes that linger in the hearts of your family and guests.
Here is a list of our top 5 essential oils to use in your DIY holiday room spray
Cinnamon Essential oil (Cinnamomum cassia) - is steam distilled from the bark of this tropical tree. The signature cinnamon-y scent reminds us of kitchen recipes of the holidays, warming our hearts and triggering cozy memories of love and togetherness. Soothing to our nerves, and comforting to our mind and bodies, Cinnamon helps us feel more grounded and secure. It’s familiar and strong aroma quickly changes the feeling of the room, and invites us all to be more at ease.
Frankincense Essential Oil (Boswellia serrata). This particular species of frankincense essential oil is steam distilled from the resin of the frankincense tree that grows in India. It has a distinctly different aromatic profile from the frankincense we are more familiar with from East Africa and Oman, but offers very similar benefits. One of its most powerful healing properties is how it can help calm and soothe our nerves, while inspiring us to be more self-reflective and introspective. Its resiny aroma is soothing and centering.
Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) Essential Oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the common culinary herb that most use in cooking. This essential oil is made up of molecules that have been shown to support our breathing and to help keep us strong and healthy. Other beneficial properties include encouraging more circulation and energy to flow, in both our bodies and minds. And keeping the flow of energy moving is important for new memories to be formed and old ones to be cherished.
Clove (Eugenia caryophyllata) Essential Oil is steam distilled from the dried buds of the clove tree. The essential oil not only has been shown to soothe away pain, and encourage a warm feeling in the body that can help with improving circulation, but it is loaded with aromatic molecules that trigger memories of warm cozy days spent with those we love and care about.
Orange Essential Oil (Citrus sinensis) is squeezed from the peel of the orange fruit. The aroma is fresh, inviting, crisp and orange-y, offering an experience of free-flowing love and abundance. It’s sweet uplifting aroma encourages all of us to feel happy and uplifted.
Here’s how to make your own DIY Room Spray for the Holidays Recipe
This recipe makes one 4-ounce bottle.
- What you’ll need:
- Small digital scale
- Measuring cups and spoons, or glass beakers
- Stirrers, either metal or glass
- Small whisk
- One 4 ounce (approximately 100 grams) glass bottle with sprayer
- Blank Labels
- Parchment Paper
- Paper towel
- 100 grams (about ½ cup of distilled water)
- 7 drops of Frankincense
- 2 drops of Cinnamon
- 4 drops of Clove Oil
- 6 drops of Rosemary Oil
- 8 drops of Orange Oil
- Before starting to make the recipe make sure the area where you will be blending is very clean. That means wiping down counter spaces with rubbing alcohol and putting away any food items and extra clutter. Once your counter space, or table top is clean, line the area with some parchment paper, pull your hair back and thoroughly wash your hands.
- Set out your digital scale and all other blending tools so they are easy to grab when needed.
- Bring out all of your ingredients so they are accessible.
- Using your small digital scale, and measuring spoons, measure and weigh your distilled water and pour it into a beaker or a measuring cup.
- Add all the essential oils into the beaker with the distilled water and stir well.
- Next, pour the mixture into your 4-ounce glass bottle, insert the sprayer and tighten and shake the bottle vigorously.
- Make up a name for your Natural DIY Room Spray for the Holidays, and write the name and the ingredients on the label and attach the label to the bottle.
- Always shake the bottle vigorously before spraying, and make sure to avoid your face and eyes.
Here are three effective ways to use your DIY room spray for the Holidays to create a holiday spirit.
- Clearing and Cleansing your space to let the holiday magic in: Start your day by spritzing your DIY essential oil room spray in your living room or bedroom. The warming cozy aroma will not only invigorate your senses but also help create a beautiful holiday vibe. Make it a part of your daily morning routine during the holidays, and let the natural goodness of essential oils make you feel more grounded, secure and loved.
- Germ-Free Zone: Keep your home germ-free, and healthy, by using your room spray regularly around your home. A few spritzes around your favorite sofa or chair and you will not only create a pleasant atmosphere but also help everyone who visits to keep strong and healthy. Know that your DIY room spray is actively fighting off anything that might make you feel ill.
- Relaxing Nighttime Holiday Ritual: Enhance your bedtime routine by incorporating your DIY essential oil room spray into your evening holiday ritual. Spray your room and outer sides of your blankets lightly before bedtime. The soothing aroma will create a tranquil ambiance, helping you let go of the stress of your daily tasks, and focus more fully on the spirit of the holiday.
Remember, use your room spray every day! By incorporating your DIY holiday room spray into these daily practices, you'll be well on your way to a healthier and happier holiday season.