Tummy upsets are never fun. They can disrupt our plans, depress our mood and make us feel terribly uncomfortable. Sometimes they are caused by overeating, lack of sleep, anxiety or hormonal ups and downs.
So how can you easily soothe them away within a matter of minutes? One of the easiest ways to help ease the discomfort and get us feeling back to normal is to use a blend of essential oils in a gentle belly massage oil.
Essential oils, especially those that have been shown to be anti-spasmodic, anti-inflammatory, and soothing to our thoughts and feelings, can offer quick relief, so that our daily plans won’t be interrupted.
But the key is knowing which essential oils to use and how much.
Here is a list of our top 5 essential oils to relieve tummy upset:
Coriander Seed (Coriandrum sativum):
Steam distilled front the seed of the common cilantro herb, coriander seed essential oil is known to soothe the nervous system, ease away puffiness and feelings of “bloat” - and help our bellies feel at ease. It shares molecules with Lavender that have been proven to calm away distress.
Lemon (Citrus limon):
Squeezed directly from the lemon peels, lemon essential oil is known to flush away toxins and calm our nerves, while improving the flow of energy and movement. It has the potential to disperse stagnation, reduce the feeling of “bloat” and ease away tummy distress.
Peppermint (Mentha piperita):
Steam distilled from the leaves of the common peppermint plant, peppermint essential oil can quickly relieve pain and aches, reduce puffiness and “bloat”, encourage the flow of movement and circulation, and help disperse stagnancy.
Steam distilled from the leaves of the common basil plant, basil shares many of the same aromatherapeutic properties as peppermint, lavender and coriander, as it also reduces inflammation, eases away aches and pains, and help promotes healthy movement and flow in our tummies.
Read below for our DIY Belly Bloat Massage Oil recipe that features a beautiful combination of our top 5 essential oils to relieve tummy distress.
Makes 250 gram bottles for a total of 100 grams, or 2 ( 2 oz) bottles
What you’ll need:
- Small digital scale
- Measuring cups and spoons, or glass beakers
- Stirrers, either metal or glass
- Small whisk
- 2 clean glass bottles with a pump
- Blank Labels
- Parchment Paper
- Paper towel
- 25 grams (approximately 5 tsp) of Argan Oil
- 25 grams (approximately 5 tsp) of Baobab Oil
- 50 grams (approximately 5 tsp) of Jojoba Oil
- 1 gram (approximately 20 drops) of Vitamin E Oil
- 7 drops of Lavender Oil
- 5 drops of Corainder Seed Oil
- 4 drops of Basil Oil
- 2 drops of Peppermint Oil
- 5 drops of Lemon Oil
- Before starting to make the recipe make sure the area where you will be blending is very clean. That means wiping down counter spaces with rubbing alcohol and putting away any food items and extra clutter. Once your counter space, or table top is clean, line the area with some parchment paper, pull your hair back and thoroughly wash your hands.
- Set out your digital scale and all other blending tools so they are easy to grab when needed.
- Bring out all of your ingredients so they are accessible.
- Using your small digital scale, and measuring spoons, start measuring out each ingredient separately into their own beaker or measuring cup, until you have every ingredient laid out in front of you.
- Pour all ingredients into one of your empty beakers or glass measuring cups, and stir thoroughly using your small mini whisk, or other mixing tool.
- Once everything is well combined, carefully pour the mixture into your empty glass bottles and cap with the pump closure.
- Make up a name for your body oil, and write the name and the ingredients on the label and attach them to bottles.
- Use as often as needed!
What are the benefits of an essential oil massage oil?
Essential oil massage benefits include improving circulation, reducing inflammation, easing away pain and discomfort while calming our emotions. When we massage an oil onto our bodies, using firm circular motions, we are able to warm the skin and awaken our tissues and blood vessels, improving circulation and the flow of energy so that our bodies can welcome the aromatherapeutic properties of the essential oils that are featured in the massage oil - and offer immediate relief.
How to use a belly massage oil?
When massaging our bellies, specifically, it is recommended to use gently firm circular motions, that move counter clockwise around our belly button, to encourage the natural flow of our digestive system and disperse bloating.
Our belly massage oil can be used up to 3 X per day, whenever your belly is feeling tight and in distress. Make sure to be in a quiet space when you do it and lay flat, so that you can reap the maximum benefits.