Bright, citrusy, and uplifting lemon essential oil is a go-to essential for many people and with good reason. Not only does it have an invigorating aroma, but it’s also very beneficial for the mind, body, and home. It’s made by cold-pressing lemon peels from the lemon tree, which originated in Asia and was brought over to Europe in the 16th century. Lemon trees can grow up to 20 feet tall and bear bright yellow, ball-shaped fruit. Used for centuries in food preparations, beauty rituals, and folk medicine, today, lemon essential oil can be found in everything from food flavorings to skincare and cleaning products. Plus, it contains antioxidants, which can help fight off free radicals. Read on to uncover the benefits and how you can use it.
What are the Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil?
A mainstay of the citrus family, lemon essential oil can cleanse the skin, freshen the kitchen, and more. Below are a few of the top benefits.
Lemon Essential Oil Benefits for the Skin
- Cleanses and purifies skin
- Natural astringent
- Prevents breakouts and blemishes
- Aids in wound healing for minor cuts and scrapes
- Promotes a bright, radiant complexion
- Removes sap or pine gum on skin
- Soothes calluses
Lemon Essential Oil Benefits for the Hair
- Cleans scalp, removing grime and dirt
- Prevents flakiness and soothes itchiness
- Balances oil levels
- Promotes a healthy scalp
Lemon Essential Oil Benefits for the Mood
- Eases anxious or worried thoughts
- Aids in concentration and focus
- Promotes positivity
Lemon Essential Oil Benefits for the Home
- Neutralizes unwanted odors
- Cleans surfaces
- Removes tarnish from silver
- Refreshes clothing
- Degreases stovetops and pans
- Deters insects like mosquitoes
How to Use Lemon Essential Oil
There are many ways to use lemon essential oil for your body, mind, and home. Below are some ways you can incorporate it into your daily routine.
For the body
- Add 2 drops of lemon essential oil to ½ teaspoon of aloe vera gel and use it as a spot treatment directly on blemishes.
- Mix 2 drops of lemon essential oil with ½ teaspoon of jojoba oil and apply to minor cuts and scrapes to aid in healing.
- Mix 3 drops of lemon essential oil and 1 tablespoon of argan oil and massage into your scalp and leave it for 5 minutes and then wash to soothe itchiness and remove dirt and flakiness.
- Add 2 drops of lemon essential oil and 1 drop of eucalyptus essential oil to ½ teaspoon of marula oil and apply to the chest to aid in easy breathing.
- Add 4 drops of lemon essential oil to 1 tablespoon of shampoo and wash hair to balance oil levels.
- Add 2 drops of lemon essential oil to ½ teaspoon of coconut oil and use it to remove sap or pine gum from the skin.
For the mind
- Add 3 drops of lemon essential oil and 3 drops of rosemary essential oil to your diffuser along with water (as directed) to ease tension and soothe a worried mind.
For the home
- Add 4 drops of lemon essential oil to your laundry tub when it’s on the final rinse cycle to freshen clothing.
- Fill a medium-sized spray bottle with 1 cup of white vinegar, 3 cups of water, 10 drops of lemon essential oil, and 5 drops of orange essential oil. Shake and spray on the stovetop to remove grease and disinfect countertops.
- Fill a bowl with warm water and add 6 drops of lemon essential oil. Dip a clean sponge in it and use it to clean cutting boards and other surfaces.
- Add 4 drops of lemon essential oil, 2 drops of peppermint essential oil, and 2 drops of tea tree essential oil to a diffuser along with water (as directed) and diffuse in outdoor areas to keep mosquitoes and other bugs away.
- Combine 7 drops of lemon essential oil with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Blot the mixture on a soft cloth and use it to polish wood surfaces and furniture.
What Blends Well With Lemon Essential Essential Oil?
Lemon essential oil’s zesty aroma pairs well with most varieties. Try blending it with these most-loved essential oils for the perfect combination.
- Lavender essential oil
- Orange essential oil
- Rosemary essential oil
- Peppermint essential oil
- Geranium essential oil
- Cedarwood essential oil
- Patchouli essential oil
- Eucalyptus essential oil
- Tea tree essential oil
Lemon Essential Oil Safety
When using lemon essential oil, it’s important to take into consideration several precautions. First and foremost, you should avoid UV rays or sunlight within 12 hours of applying it to your skin. Additionally, you should always combine it with a carrier oil before use — never apply it directly to your skin as it can be irritating and cause an adverse reaction. It’s best to conduct a skin patch test before applying it to a larger area. Lemon essential oil should only be applied topically or inhaled and not ingested. It can be toxic to pets and should be avoided by pregnant women. For more essential oil safety tips, take a look at this article.
All About Cliganic Lemon Essential Oil
Made by cold-pressing the peels of organic lemons from Italy, Cliganic Lemon Essential Oil is 100% pure, unrefined, and USDA Organic. It has a zesty aroma that is refreshing and uplifting. As with all Cliganic products, it’s free of chemicals, parabens, SLS or other artificial ingredients and cruelty-free.
Lemon essential oil is beloved for its bright, fresh scent and its benefits for the skin, mind, and home. However, like other citrus essential oils, lemon essential oil can be irritating to some people, so it’s best to test it out before using a large amount, whether you’re using topically or diffusing. To find out how you can use lemon essential oil in DIY recipes, take a look at this article: How to Make Your Own DIY Homemade Hand Cleanser with Essential Oils.