Oil Cleansing: What it is and why you should do it?
Oil Cleansing is a method of facial cleansing that uses 100% pure carrier oil rather than soap and water. It’s a practice that has been used for thousands of years, and its benefits have been shown to greatly improve the skin’s health and appearance. Think of it as an oil face cleanser.
The idea behind the Oil Cleansing Method says that you can cleanse away the excess oil that our skin naturally produces by adding more oil in order to pull the excess oil off your skin. This idea is a basic chemistry concept that “like dissolves like.” Meaning that the oil you put on your skin to cleanse with absorbs the excess oil collecting on the surface of your skin, and when you wipe it off your skin, the excess oil is pulled off with it.
Also Read: Carrier Oils vs Essential Oils
Oil and our Skin
Our skin produces natural oils which are essential for our skin to function properly. For example, the natural oils we produce not only help to keep our skin supple but also contribute to the importance of the immune function of our skin’s physiology. Without our natural oils protecting the outer layer of skin, our skin can become more easily susceptible to environmental stressors, and micro-organisms that can threaten its health and appearance.
By stripping our skin of our natural oils, we can potentially make it more vulnerable to dryness, imbalances, like breakouts, and irritations.
Oil Cleansing can be a great alternative to harsh soaps, by encouraging our skin to keep balanced.
How to use a DIY face cleansing oil:
This is what you’ll need so you know how to oil cleanse face
- Cotton Pads
- Spray bottle filled with warm water
- Jojoba Carrier Oil
Here are the steps to correctly oil cleanse your face:
- Dampen a washcloth with warm water and gently press all over your face, and set aside.
- Take one of the cotton pads and spray lightly with water to dampen it slightly.
- Add 20 drops of oil to the dampened cotton pad
- Gently wipe your face with the cotton pad on your face using circular motions
- Repeat 3 times.
Why we recommend oil cleansing with Jojoba Oil
Jojoba Carrier Oil is one of the best carrier oils to use for oil cleansing. Why? Because Jojoba Oil is the only carrier oil that actually resembles the specific chemistry of the oil our own skin produces, which is called sebum. Human sebum and Jojoba Carrier Oil are made up of similar molecules and chemical compounds. And this means that when we apply Jojoba Carrier Oil to our skin, it can help balance our own oil production and help lift away any excess oil our skin is producing. Plus Jojoba has a lighter, less greasier feel than many other oils, like Olive Oil or Sunflower Oil. That’s why we love using jojoba oil for cleansing.
Also Read: Jojoba Oil for Skin & Hair - Benefits & Uses
Here are benefits of oil cleanser and our recommended Skin Types for Oil Cleansing:
Although everyone’s skin type can benefit from oil cleansing, there are certain skin types that should do it less often than others. Here is a quick reference list of which skin types best benefit from the Oil Cleansing Method:
- Sensitive Skin: Sensitive skin is skin that is very reactive and can appear blotchy and red. Sensitive skin can benefit from Oil Cleansing 1 x 2 per week, making sure to not to do it when the skin is having a flare up.
- Dry and Mature Skin: Dry and Mature skin is skin that feels tight and looks dull. For this skin type we recommend oil cleansing at least 5 times a week to help the skin feel nourished and more vibrant.
- Acne Prone Skin: Oil Cleansing with Acne Prone skin can be enormously effective, but should be done only 1 X week, and never when the skin is experiencing a breakout.
- Normal and Combination Skin: For this skin type, we recommend oil cleansing 2 to 3 X per week, and can be alternated with your regular skin care routine.
Ready to start Oil Cleansing?