Best Essential Oils Blends for Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is a time to celebrate family, and friends, and to reflect on all that we are thankful for. Whether you’re planning on hosting a get-together at your home or going to a loved one’s, it’s always nice to take a step back from the cooking and cleaning to truly relish the moment. Essential oils can evoke the spirit of the season, while also calming the mind and enlivening the spirit. In this article, we’ll share our favorite essential oils to use during the thanksgiving holiday, along with some unique DIY recipes.
Essential Oils for Thanksgiving
Looking to incorporate essential oils into your thanksgiving traditions this year? Make your living room cozier and more comforting with fall scents, give your kitchen a deep clean before guests arrive, create a relaxing environment to unwind, and more! Here are some of the best essential oils to use for thanksgiving.
- Star anise
- Black pepper
Thanksgiving Essential Oil DIYs
Savor the season by making these thanksgiving-inspired DIYs where essential oils take center stage.
Falling Leaves All-Purpose Cleaner
Get your home squeaky clean before thanksgiving (and after) by making this natural all-purpose cleaner that quickly removes grit and grime off of kitchen countertops, bathroom sinks, and more!
- 1 medium-sized spray bottle
- 2 cups of water
- ½ cup of white vinegar
- 2 drops of orange essential oil
- 3 drops of patchouli essential oil
- 3 drops of frankincense essential oil
Add all ingredients to the spray bottle and shake until well combined. Spray on kitchen counters, bathroom sinks, and other surfaces, and wipe clean with a soft cloth.
Apple Pie Soy Candle
Set the mood for the big feast or create the ultimate hostess gift by making this fragrant soy candle that uses cinnamon, clove bud, lime, and grapefruit essential oils to evoke the smell of fresh apple pie.
- Three 4 oz glass canning jars (feel free to reuse existing candle jars)
- 3 cups of soy wax
- 3 candle wicks
- 5 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 2 drops of clove bud essential oil
- 3 drops of bergamot essential oil
- 3 drops of grapefruit essential oil
- Pour 1 cup of soy candle wax into an empty coffee can.
- Set the coffee can in a stock pot and add a small amount of water to the pot. Bring the water to a slow simmer, until the wax in the can melts. Stir the wax with a spatula until it is completely liquid, with no lumps. Cut the candle wick to 4 inches over the height of the 4 oz glass jar. Wrap the extra candlewick end around a pen or pencil and balance it over the jar, so the wick is centered and straight.
- Carefully pour the melted wax into the glass jar, making sure the candle wick remains upright.
- Add all essential oils before the candle sets.
- Repeat steps 1 to 5 with the remaining two candles.
- Let candles cool and solidify for approximately 2 hours.
- Once set, unwrap the pen or pencil from the candle wick and cut the wick to the desired length.
- Light the candles and enjoy them in your home or gift them to family and friends.
Gratitude Essential Oil Diffuser Blend
Take a moment to reflect on the year with this grounding and calming diffuser blend that incorporates cedarwood, rosemary, and orange essential oils.
- 2 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 2 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops of orange essential oil
Add all essential oils to your diffuser with water (as directed), turn on, and breathe in to create a soothing environment.
Pumpkin Pie Air Freshener
Love the smell of pumpkin pie, but don’t have time to bake it from scratch? Try making this incredibly easy pumpkin pie room freshener. It provides the same familiar spicy-sweet aroma, but without the cleanup.
- 1 four oz spray bottle
- ⅓ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of rubbing alcohol
- 3 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 3 drops of orange essential oil
- 3 drops of clove bud essential oil
Sugar and Spice Foaming Hand Soap
Keep hands clean and smelling divine with this sudsy soap that blends cinnamon, star anise, and geranium essential oils.
- 8 oz foaming hand soap bottle
- ¼ cup of castile soap
- ¾ cup of water
- 4 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 3 drops of star anise essential oil
- 5 drops of geranium essential oil
Add all ingredients to the spray bottle and shake until well combined. Wash your hands and enjoy the fragrant lather.
As the holiday season kicks off, there’s no better way to celebrate than by incorporating essential oils into your rituals. From cleaning your home to creating a vibrant environment, essential oils come with many benefits beyond just having a pleasant smell. If you’d like to learn more about how you can use essential oils through the holiday season (especially if you’re planning on traveling), take a look at this article: Best Essential Oils to Take on Vacation.